I know you're thinking...
"Ok - my daughter came home with some patches but now what do I do with them??"
Difference between Badges and Patches:
Badges are awards girls earn by completing skill-building activities. There are level-appropriate badges in each Journey book and Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting. Patches are given to Girl Scouts for participating in fun events, activities or other programs. Patches are to be worn on the back of vests or sashes, while badges are worn on the front.
(source credit: https://www.girlscoutshcc.org/en/about-girl-scouts/badges-and-patches.html)
Below are examples of Charlotte's vest:
BACK: FUN PATCHES - These patches can be given as a group or individually. We will give Fun Patches out at our planned Fun Patch events (Hosted by our awesome Fun Patch Moms: Susan Huddleston & Lisa Burduroglu) and also service events like our Canned Food Drive last month. The only "rule" to putting on the patches is to start at the bottom of the vest and work your way up.
Amy and I both LOVE these patches... and the sky's the limit - there is a patch for almost ANYTHING! It's our hope that by the end of 3rd grade (last year as Brownies) the back of their vest will be covered with all the fun events that they participated in!
If your daughter does something individually that she'd like a patch for, by all means get her a patch! You can go to any Girl Scout store or on-line to find Fun Patches.
I really like: Snappy Logos and Making Friends
*All patches & badges say that they are "Iron-on." However, I'm told it is not a permanent solution. If you're not comfortable sewing the patches on, you have a couple other options:
- Badge Magic - This is a very sticky adhesive that will stick the patch/badge to the vest. I'm told it works pretty well but don't know if it holds up in the wash machine. To test it before you buy it, I've applied it to your daughter's "Happy Birthday Juliette Low" patch for you to try... Just peel off the white paper and stick it on the bottom of the back of the vest. You DO NOT iron-on with Badge Magic - just stick it and leave it.
- Most all dry cleaners and/or alterations shops will sew on badges/patches for a fee.
FRONT: BADGES - Your girls earned 2 badges at our last meeting: The GS Way badge and the Journey Quest Discovery Key. Please put the GS Way badge on the bottom right corner (as shown) and the Discovery Key on the bottom left near the center (as shown). You can also find another example in the Brownie Guide Book page 26.
Like fun patches, the rule is to start at the bottom of the vest and work your way up.
A "Fun Patch" that I'd like all the girls to work on is this one:
Like all Girl Scouts around the globe, we start all of our meetings by saying the Girl Scout Promise and Law. The law is long and they were just introduced to it in November... but I noticed that sweet Maggie Cunningham had already memorized the law! She was a Rock Star and recited the GS Law like she's known it for years! I was so glad to be able to present her the 1st patch!! And it's my hope that when the girls see others receiving this patch, it'll act as positive peer pressure for others to begin to memorize it too!
WAY TO GO MAGGIE!!



No comments:
Post a Comment